Thursday, June 30, 2011
kids playing in the surf
kids playing in the sand
grilling out at the ocean
snoozing on the sand
reading books while I watch them play
and most of all I am thankful to God that I am here to see my children do all these things. I am thankful.
Tuesday, June 28, 2011
How cute is that diaper???
I cloth diapered my last two babies and I loved it. We began it out of necessity and continued it out of loving not having to run to the store when I was out of diapers or wipes. Here's some tips I used to give my cloth diaperstore customers on how to buy cloth dipes.
I would not buy a lot of anything. I would buy 5 that you want to try and try them first. What you think you will love you may not like as well as xxx. Also sometimes certain diapers will fit better on different babies.
I would not buy anything size xsmall. If you're going for one size know that they did not fit newborns when I was in the biz. They almost don't fit til around 13lbs. But once you get them in there it's great. I would get a bum genius one size, fb one size, an all in one and maybe even a few prefolds and a cover. I loved my fb and bg. But I also loved the simplicity of a prefold. If you were having more babies I would get prefolds and covers for the nb period because the prefolds can then be used as doublers in the one size diapers.
If you are doing cloth diapers do cloth wipes so you don't have to pick wipes out of your washer when you forget to take them out...and trust me you will forget. :)
The diaper laundry you end up doing adds about two loads to your week. If you get the shower sprayer (mini-shower was the one I sold and loved) than you just spray them off and put them in the diaperpail in the laundry room til your ready. Then I rinsed them first. Then washed in warm water and dried in the dryer. My covers I did line dry. It is so easy and your wallet and the environment will thank you. Did you know that a disposable diaper will last 500 years in a landfill? Oh and a hotdog will last 7 years in the landfill....gross. :) Brought to you by useless tips you never wanted to know...you are welcome!
I can't think of anything else. It's a great way to save money and not that much work. I know it's weird to say but diaper laundry folding was my favorite load. lol If you end up cloth diapering you'll understand. Cloth diapering is frugal and simple living at it's finest. It's also fun!:) Good luck friends.
Friday, June 24, 2011
9. My bank
10. my local paper
Do you have a great website I need to know about? Let me know in the comments. I love to check out different sites!
Wednesday, June 22, 2011
Monday, June 20, 2011
One of the biggest contributing factors was the cost of purchasing meat from ethically raised animals. Given that these animals tend to be raised on smaller farms that don’t have money flowing in from McDonalds, their overhead is a bit higher than factory farms. While the extra cost is worth knowing that my chicken saw sunshine and could stand on its own, it meant that we had to reduce our meat consumption in order to stay in our grocery budget.
I also wanted to impact my step-daughter’s meals. If you sit this 11 year-old down at the table, she will consume a pound of meat and nothing else. I really have no desire to see what her colon looks like. Given our schedule with her, the biggest impact (without sending her into tizzy) would mean reducing our meat consumption to just one meal on Saturday and Sunday each.
In the beginning, this was not a difficult task as we tended to eat meat lightly anyways. We usually managed on less than a pound of chicken for a family of four at a single meal. Which also makes me wonder what happened to those ground beef packages that weigh under a pound. Have you noticed that you can’t get anything for less than 1.20 pounds now-a-days?
I picked up a couple vegetarian cookbooks, some geared toward teens and others that were multicultural in nature, and then passed off Boco Burgers as hamburgers. Surprisingly both kids said they were the best burgers they ever had and I let them think they were hamburgers for about 3 meals before I filled them in.
The only challenge has been the nights that my Significant Other has to take over the meal preparation. He is the Hamburger Helper kind of cook. Because of a very busy spring, he has had to take over cooking a great deal, so our meatless days have gone a bit by the way side. Of course, the concession stand at the Little League field hasn’t helped either.
It is my hope, that with a few lessons and some cookbook research, I will be able to help my S.O. get some vegetarian cooking practice and at least 3 or 4 meals he can easily handle on his own by the end of summer.
Jacki writes at The Raven's Spell (http://www.theravensspell.com) where she explores the magic that has become her life, which includes a blended family, working outside the home, and going back to school. She has addiction problem when it comes to books, but can also be found gardening and enjoying weekly farmer's markets.
Thank you Jacki.
Thursday, June 16, 2011
Wednesday, June 15, 2011
I won an award....a blogging award...wow~really? Cool. Thank you Karen of Life with Karen for thinking of me for this award. It's funny because we never think of ourselves as cool or interesting and then someone says...hey, you are! Nice~ Ok well the rules say now I must tell you 7 things about me and then pick some of my favorite blogs to pass the award to.
1. I've had 7 pregnancies but only 2 babies.
2. I have so much gray hair I have no choice but to color it. lol
3. I'm so very short. 5'1
4. My eyesight is terrible. Without my contacts I'm legally blind. Most things on the tv screen after a movie or tv show my dh has to read to me. Because of this driving at night to somewhere I've never been is not an option as I can't read the street signs. Why yes I am Velma from Scooby Doo. :)
5. I love the beach with my family and miss it when I'm not there.
6. I love soft drinks and am on my journey to not drink them.
7. I've been married for 18 years and with my dh for 20. We have two boys and our sweet baby girl who we adopted from Korea. Life is so good!
Here's my favorite blogs that I've awarded the stylish blogger award too.
Lisa from http://iamallatwitteraboutlife.blogspot.com/
Kate from http://www.foodbuzz.com/blogs/3776430-all-spiced-up-chicken-and-rice
Jamie from http://dreamingbigdreams.net/
Amy from http://idiotmom.com/blog/
These are some very stylish blogs that I follow! You should too!
Tuesday, June 14, 2011
and here's the other:
So, if you are in need of a banner please shop at Whitney's for some really nicely designed banners and buttons. Thank you so much Whitney. Let's show her some love. http://www.amagnoliaheart.com
Whitney...you rock in kindness. Thank you for being a new to me friend on the web.
Monday, June 13, 2011
Sunday, June 12, 2011
Friday, June 10, 2011
2. I love disneyworld and wish I could take my kids more often.
3. I miss a dear friend of mine and wish I could go back in time and change
the day that she was murdered. :(
4. I have a degree in teaching. But I love to start things up and get them running, figuring out how to do/build stuff along the way. I created a website and now am working on this blogging thing. I had to learn search engine optimization, meta tags, promotion of said site, etc. I think I love the challenge of getting it going
5. My children amaze me every day.
6. In the year 2006 I had 3 articles written in the newspaper about my cloth diaper store. I wrote a press release and was shocked when reporters responded!
7. My dream job is a stay at home mom, but being a preschool teacher/blogger will do for now.
8. I recently went back to school for a semester and loved it!
9. I love cooking and trying out new dishes.
10. I love to bake!
11. I love my God but am trying to not get burned out about church.
12. Being a mom is a calling, I'm not sure I'm doing it well, but i'm loving every minute of it.
13. I've been on tv twice. Once was an interview for Talk of the Town for my internet based mom business and also on the news.
14. I owned an natural parenting store, sold it to stay at home, and love staying home more! Don't miss it a bit!
15. I miss my bil and sil and their children who are missionaries in Sudan, Africa.
16. I love my in laws a lot, not alot of people can say that. I married into a cool family.
17. We do not have cable and I do not miss it!
18. I love dr pepper and mountain dew and wish I could drink it every day. However it changes my personality so i don't drink it often and miss it like crazy!
19. I have a chocolate lab named Snickers. After saying I'd never have an inside dog I do now and love it. Well, most of the time.
20. I have 6 fish and a cat (the cat has issues she talks all the daggum time and those of us with kids know that that is just too much)!
21. I love white cake and white icing.
22. I'm a morning person but I love to sleep.
23. I love to read. I've already read probably 20 books this year, if not more.
24. I'm addicted to fb and email and have 18000 emails in my inbox...thanks gmail!
25. I am a constant work in progress!
That is my crazy so called life!
Thursday, June 9, 2011
Have you ever tried the Walgreens Brand Health & Wellness Products? A few weeks ago, I was in their store and remembered that I was out of ibuprophen. I walked through the well stocked aisles until I found the brand name product. I reached for it. But before I could grab it I saw a Walgreens Health and Wellness ibuprophen in a buy one get one free packaged set. That gave me 100 pills for the price of 50. As I then looked at the shelf I saw the name brand product I was going to grab was almost $4.00 more. What a great value their ibuprophen was! In addition to being a good value for families on a budget, they also have the same ingredients as that name brand product I was looking at. I stood there and compared the boxes before I bought the Walgreens brand.knowing it had a 100% money back guarantee. Headaches happen to me a few times a week. I grabbed this product and my headache was gone in 20 minutes. Sweet relief! Thank you Walgreens for saving my family money and give me a quality product. That rocks!
Want a giftcard to use at Walgreens? There are other bloggers who will be doing a Walgreens gift card giveaways. Be sure to visit them so you can win! Click giveaways to find out who and what you need to do to enter!
Did you know that for every purchase of Walgreens Health and Wellness product they donate to Walgreens Way to Well Fund™? That brings health services, such as free preventative screenings, to local communities. As someone whose healthcare is not that great I love that they do this! It makes me want to buy more. Thank you Walgreens!
Tuesday, June 7, 2011
saw this on a friend's site and thought it was such a cute idea. Here goes:
catch fireflies (did this on Sunday night) check
go to the beach
read a book on the beach
grill out at the beach
nighttime hide and seek
visit the drive in (there's one close to here and I've not been in um 30 years)
go to the lake
kayak at the lake
not get poison ivy (just sayin)
learn to cook turnip greens (thought I had lettuce growing...oops...definitely doesn't taste like lettuce)
swim, swim, swim
lose 10 more lbs
try to go to bed at a reasonable hour and get up at 6ish to keep a schedule
go to the starlight movie house
go to thrift store
well that's all I can think of for now. What's on your summer bucket list? Thanks idiotmom for the idea! :) Might need a fall/winter/spring bucket list as well.
Monday, June 6, 2011
Friday, June 3, 2011
2. Nashville Zoo at Grassmere~animals a bit quieter and slower in summer but still a must see.
3. Wave pool~fun for all!
4. Discovery Children's Museum~more fun for the preschool set but school agers would enjoy as well.
5. Sam Davis Home~see how they lived during the time of the civil war and why Sam Davis was a hero!
6. Andrew Jackson's home~The president's home...find out why he is known as Old Hickory.
7. Ryman Auditorium/Grand Ole Opry~great music and well self explanatory.
8. Stones River Battlefield~lots of forts and explanations of things that happened during the civil war.
9. Nashville Shores~another water park and well it's just soooo much fun for all!
10.Frist Center of the Arts~has great art masterpieces. A must see!
Anything I've left out to see and do here? Let me know!
I remembered one! We walked around downtown on Broadway this past weekend. I saw Elvis and a man sprayed in silver from head to toe. Never a dull moment! The melting pot, Hard Rock, and Laser Tag are all on 2nd Ave close to Broadway and fun places to eat and something fun to do. :)
Thursday, June 2, 2011
My Current Giveaways
In A Pikle Bag Giveaway 5/21 US
Madame Deals Louis Vuitton Purse Giveaway 6/14 US
Win $50 JCPenney's Gift card and one to share 5/17 US
Orgreenic Pan Review and Giveaway 5/31 US
$20 and 250 business cards giveaway 5/26
Summer Amazon Blow Out Gift Cards!! 5/21 US
Super Giveaway from Perricone MD
Ebates $150 Mothers Day Giveaway
Accidentally Married to a Vampire (20 ebooks)Giveaway
$260 in Children's Books 5/14
Smart Bones Review and Giveaway 5/18
Food Fights Book Review and Giveaway 5/18 US
Hey! Get a Job Giveaway