Friday, May 6, 2011

Abandonment feelings in my sweet daughter...





I left her today for a few hours so that I could go on a field trip with my son's second grade class. She doesn't ever like us to leave her. EVER. She cries and wants to go with us. We've had her since she was 4 months old. But she has most definitely been affected by it. She was attached to her foster family. She was so confused when we first picked her up from the airport. She didn't sleep for 3 days after we brought her home. She would take 30 minute cat naps. I was about to lose my mind. On day three she slept all night and did so from then on. You could see the confusion on her face. My heart hurt for her. She is loved and knows it. She loves in return. But have no doubt she is affected by adoption even at the young age of 4 months old.


The funny thing is she is totally ok if we let her brother (14 years old) babysit her while we run out. She knows him, trusts him, loves him. If we leave her with my mom or dad we get tears (anyone she knows and trusts). She's 5. It is getting somewhat better. It still catches me by surprise. I try to talk with her and get her to understand I will be coming back. I do not get angry with her. But I do wonder what other effects she will have that I don't know about. My sweet girl. I could have stayed at the school to pick up my kids. But because of her I left to go get her. I want her to always know that we will come back. She is so loved.

Any advice from adoptive parents that have been there done that? Please leave a comment and let me
know!

Here's the post about our adoption story!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts. Please share with me!