Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Children, potty training and hair pulling dilemmas...and then pizza.

I have a child who it took a very long time to potty train. This child has been potty trained during the day forever. However, once this child falls asleep, accidents happen. I thought, for a long time, that it was laziness. Then I thought maybe it was attention seeking. After I pulled out some hair, I finally came to the conclusion that this child can't help it. It's not their fault that their bladder isn't growing as fast as they are. See, when you have a child and then have another it's very hard to not compare them. I've never dealt with this before so I couldn't wrap my brain around the fact that this isn't about potty training. It's a growing problem that this child has to just grow into. Well, this child is almost 9 and finally has grown into it. Most nights dry pants. I don't know what I would have done had they not made goodnights before. I used cloth diapers for years and for years this child slept in them. I'm so glad I figured this out without driving myself crazy. I hope this helps other parents to see that the child can't help it and it's not your fault. Thank you God for children who love me despite my flaws!

Ok, I can't write a post and not make it about food. On Sunday I had big plans to make homemade pizza and had what I thought was a great recipe. I make homemade pizza all the time. So, this dough wouldn't cooperate and would not roll out without completely sticking to my rolling pin. No amount of flour or corn meal would make it not stick. Frustrated, I threw out all the dough. Wanted to wash my hands of pizza. So what's a mom to do? I went into my kitchen dusted off my flour tortillas and we had pizza. The kids made their own. We used tomato sauce, mushrooms, peppers, onions, turkey pepperoni and cheese. These were the biggest hits. The kids loved making their own pizzas. Here's the kicker, I used less cheese and they were less fattening than the pizzas I usually make. I'm done with dough for pizza. I bought a huge thing of flour tortillas and we will probably make them all summer long for the kiddos. I love pizza. Oh, in case you're wondering, we baked them in a 400* oven for 10 minutes on a cookie sheet. They were yum! Kind of like a very thin crust pizza and very crisp. Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts. Please share with me!