Monday, April 2, 2012

The decisions we make



The decisions we make affect our lives for years to come. I have a decision to make with my son. It's not life threatening. It's not life or death. It's just hard. My children go to a school similar to a charter school. I have had conferences every year for the last 3 years about my sweet boy. It's not that he's not smart enough. It's that he doesn't care. He's a fun loving, laid back, wants to make people laugh kind of guy.

The school offers things other schools just don't have. It has an amazing arts program. They begin Spanish in kindergarten. It has a dance program, theater, strings, band and art. He is also my dramatic child. He loves to act. He hates to read. Give him a script and he'll read all day long. See...he does what he thinks is important. Reading book=no. Reading script=yes.

The school he's at is also much harder. It has considerably more homework. Every day for an hour after school he is doing homework. Then there's the flip side. He's getting more help here. At a regular school he'd be part of the crowd. He can go through this school all the way to the end of  8th grade. But he's now considering going to school where the other kids in the neighborhood go. Which is not a bad thing. It's just making my decision that much harder.

My gut is telling me to keep him there til the 5th grade and make a decision then. At the end of that grade the other school would move him to the middle school so he could just move once. But that means hard work on my part and his. I guess I'll just keep on praying and keeping on. We love our children and making decisions that could affect them the rest of their life is hard! WWYD?