Monday, March 12, 2012

Accidently in love with.... a God?





Guest Post Scavenger Hop!


POST #7

WHAT’S UP WITH THAT?

After reading both my novels, a few readers recently reached out with questions.

They asked things like: Why are the novels different? How come the heroine’s

BFF’s have the same names in each book? How long do we have to wait to find

out what happens to Emma and Guy? Why is it always Accidental? Mimi, how

did you get to be so happy all the time?

Okay, they didn’t really ask that last one (tee hee hee.) But I thought it would be

nice to help out any future readers who might end up with the same questions.

Well, that, and there’s a VERY VALUABLE lesson to be learned in one of the

answers.

WHY ARE THE NOVELS DIFFERENT?

The long and short answer is because I am stupid. I wrote ACCIDENTALLY IN

LOVE WITH…A GOD? and submitted it to various agencies and competitions.

I received favorable feedback, but no takers. I also received “helpful” feedback

pertaining to voice, character likeability, POV, etc… One person told me that

Chick Lit is dead so I should think about changing to the 3rd person (to avoid

confusion.)

Being a new writer, I took it all in and then started on another book.

ACCIDENTALLY MARRIED TO…A VAMPIRE? I love that book! I think it

moves fast (which is what I like) and has plenty of variety (love, action, suspense,

and jokes.) That said, I would have written it differently had I believed more in

myself. I would have written it in the 1st and 3rd person like I did for Gods. I also

would have made Niccolo meaner. In the end, it’s still a great book (my totally

unbiased opinion—har har), and I’m happy I wrote it.

BUT…believing in yourself is really important! Take the advice of others only

when you know it’s truly right.

HOW COME THE HEROINE’S BFF’S HAVE THE SAME NAMES IN

BOTH NOVELS?

I’m not telling. I’m not telling…(I’m singing that, by the way.)

HOW LONG DO WE HAVE TO WAIT TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS

TO GUY AND EMMA?

The way I’ve got the story mapped out, they come back in Book #3, SUN GOD

SEEKS...SURROGATE? However, their story won’t conclude for several more

novels.

WHY IS IT ALWAYS ACCIDENTAL?

I don’t want to give anything away for those who haven’t read the books, but most

folks think the titles refer to the heroine’s situation. Emma is secretly in love with

Guy. Helena gets hitched to a vampire. But when you get to the end, check out

who’s in love with whom and what immortality status they have. Oops. Did I just

give away the endings?

HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE!

MJ






The rest of the tour/stops on the scavenger hunt can be found at CBLS.