Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Redoing our kitchen the debt free way! AKA Delayed Gratification



Our house is 26 years old. Let that sink in for a minute. That's a long time to have the same countertops. I really want new ones! I refuse to go into debt to get them though. So we are saving up and hopefully will have the $3000 saved by the end of the year. Yep, you read that right! We are doing the countertops (kitchen and bath), sinks and faucets. I am so ready for a new look.

This week we are purchasing new sinks and faucets with the little bit we've already saved up. We've slowly been trying to update our house and I think it looks 6000% better. But we have got to get new granite countertops. I know it's not a need it's a want and not necessary in life. But it will make me feel better cooking in my kitchen which I do daily...multiple times per day for this family of  5, one is a teen, a tween, a 6 year old and a hard working husband that needs a good meal when he gets home..

Here's some things we're doing to save the money. I had a friend ask me to take my daughter and myself to get pedicures. I wanted to go. But I want those countertops more. So I moved the $ I would have spent on the pedicures into a savings account and that is going towards our new countertops! Then my daughter and I did our own toes.

My blogging money is going to the same place. My dh has even taken on a few side jobs to put towards it. I can't wait to post pics of our new countertops. Remember about 2 months ago we got some restore stain and put it on our cabinets. They look brand new again. It's the little things that make me happy. The main one being debt free! I can't wait til my home is paid for! That's my brand new BMW of choice.